Sunday, June 30, 2013

43rd Epistle from Elder Kaleb Erickson serving in Broooklyn, NY


Alive and well in Brooklyn, NY.          Written June 24, 2013

Things are going well out here. The announcements yesterday at the missionary conference were crazy. Facebook for missionaries? Hanging out at the church all day to give tours? Things are getting crazy here. Of all the times to be made a leader. It will definitely be an adventure and there will be stories to tell.

Also, I got the call the be a district leader here in Midwood, starting tomorrow. I'm not super excited about it, but I guess I might as well step up and try to make something happen. I would much rather stay as a regular missionary, responsibility is not a fun time. But I can't really turn down a calling, so I'm just going to do my best.

This week went by fast and nothing really exciting happened. I had these two Restoration concerts that I was asked to play for. I ended up with 9 songs that I was supposed to play. One concert was in Brooklyn in an area called Dyker Heights and the other was on Staten Island. The one in Brooklyn, I was the pianist for all eight of their songs. The one in Staten, I was supposed to play two songs. The problem I have with playing songs for concerts like this is that I have to go find people to practice with and set up times that work for them. Learning the songs myself isn't so much a difficulty as finding a good time and place to meet with these other people. So all of last Tuesday was dedicated to practicing with people. I was on exchanges with the district leader that day, and we spent all day at the Dyker Heights chapel practicing with people. We left at two in the afternoon and didn't get back until nine. Wednesday we had a dress rehearsal for the Staten Island concert. Luckily, I was able to meet one of the people for the Dyker Heights concert there and practice with them at the same time. Thursday was the dress rehearsal for the concert in Dyker Heights, so I finally met with the last few people I needed to practice with there.

Friday was the first day of the big concerts. We got a ride out to Staten Island in the afternoon. Elder Rodger's aunt lives out there and she is very less active, so President Calderwood asked him to go visit her. He got the chance to go with another missionary and have dinner with her and her family while I stayed and played for the concert. It went pretty well, they had maybe forty people show up. That's a solid turn out for an all Spanish concert. Saturday was the concert in Dyker Heights. It was also all in Spanish. I was the pianist of the night there, it was a good time. They had about the same turnout, it was a very nice concert.
Saturday morning at about 7:15 in the morning, I got a call from the Zone Leaders telling me that I needed to be at the Bushwick Chapel by 9 for an interview with President. That threw all of our morning plans out the window. We headed over and that's when I got the call to be a District Leader for the Spanish Midwood district. I get started on that tomorrow after transfer meetings. The biggest downside to being district leader is that I have to go to a lot of  boring meetings and that I'm responsible for a lot more now. It's not a super big deal, but it would be a lot easier to just stay as a regular missionary. It will be especially crazy with the announcements made yesterday. I have no idea how the use of internet and the tours of chapels will go. Especially when our chapel is hidden in a largely Jewish community. But I can't dog on an idea until I try it. Hopefully President Calderwood has some guidelines for us on how these things are supposed to work. Apparently our mission is one of the go-to missions to try new things because we're in such a diverse area. So I'll let you guys know how things turn out.
I'll hopefully have some investigator stories for you guys next week now that we're back to regular missionary work. Until next time!
Love,
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment