Sunday, June 23, 2013

42nd Epistle from Elder Kaleb Erickson serving in Brooklyn, New York

Update: Simi Valley Father's day       written June 17, 2013

Just to tell you a little bit about Brooklyn.  Besides the five boroughs, all of New York City is divided up by smaller subsections that nobody really knows about unless you have visited the area. Like I'm currently in Midwood, which is an area within Brooklyn. We also work a lot in Flatbush. I've been to Bushwick before. It's not too far from where I am, but it's in a different zone, so I don't really go there ever.  I know that they have FHE at the Bushwick Chapel for the single adult ward every Monday.


Dad commented about the roadshow from 2011 and my famous line about Congressman Weiner.  I see things about Congressman Weiner all the time out here. I actually saw him in Far Rockaway during the hurricane cleanup. He was walking by and we didn't recognize him at first, but someone in our group was like hey that was Anthony Weiner! We looked back and sure enough, it was him. I didn't talk to him or anything, but I walked past him. That's pretty cool, right? I'm pretty sure he's running for Mayor of NYC, but I could be mistaken on that one. 

Happy Father's Day! Sorry I missed getting a card to you in time, but there's one on the way. Mom wondered what our ward did for Father's Day. The Relief Society threw a dinner for the fathers, since our ward ends at 3:30. They had sandwiches and cookies for everybody. Fathers got to eat first, but they let everybody eat. One of the women came up to me and said "Elder seras padre algun dia, puedes comer con los padres." It was a nice event, the primary kids sang a song for the fathers and I played the piano for them.


I heard that dad took Zeke and Ben to ride over at the old Von's building. I wonder what they're going to do with that Vons place? I hope they put in something cool for when I get back. That would be awesome.

Well I got signed up to play at two more Restoration concerts this week. This means that I will be practicing all week long. They called me on Friday and gave me nine songs. Ridiculous. It's not learning the songs that I'm frustrated with, but the fact that I now have to find all these people and practice with them within the next week. I finally got all the practices set up by yesterday. This week is pretty much shot for proselyting, so I can only hope that some good comes out of one of these concerts. One will be in Brooklyn and the other will be on Staten Island. Both are in Spanish. It should definitely be an adventure.


Hope you guys are doing well! I only have ten minutes left on the computer and there is a huge line to use computers today, so I don't know that I'll be able to get back on again after this email. but I'm doing well out here. I really enjoy serving the people of Brooklyn. They are not always the nicest when you try to talk to them on the streets, but they are great people. I miss you guys and hope you are all doing well!


Love,
Elder Erickson


No comments:

Post a Comment