Tuesday, April 30, 2013

35th Epistle from Elder Kaleb Erickson serving in Far Rockaway, NY


Piano Adventures          written April 29, 2013

More adventures out here in New York. Never a dull day. We didn't have too much success this week with finding or teaching people, but I did play the piano for some exciting events. I was asked to accompany a missionary octet in singing at a Christian choir festival. Sounds pretty sweet, right? I guess there is this organization called the Queens Federation of Christians and they threw together this choir festival for anyone who wanted to sign up and sing. Some missionary signed us up and we headed out to go sing. There was one sister missionary who organized us and she picked an arrangement of I Believe In Christ from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for us to sing. Unfortunately, it was an organ accompaniment and I didn't have an organ to practice on, so I had another missionary come and play the bass line on the piano for me. It worked out pretty well.
 
So on Saturday afternoon, we headed out to Jamaica, Queens to sing at this festival. It was in this big Catholic cathedral, which was pretty cool. The other choirs were a lot of fun. They were all singing songs you'd expect from heart of the city black Gospel choirs. It was glorious. Then we got up there and changed the whole mood with our calm hymn. I think people could feel a difference in the room after we sang. The next group promptly got rid of that spirit with the clapping and yelling, but hopefully we helped some people in the audience feel the spirit.
 
We also sang on Sunday at a chapel dedication in Mineola out on Long Island. That was a pretty sweet event. I had never been to a chapel dedication before, but this one was way cool. One of the counselors in the mission presidency was listening to me play the prelude music and he told me a story about one time when he was at a funeral and he was listening to the pianist play prelude. Then the guy got bored and transitioned from hymns to playing a nice arrangement of Hey Jude. He told me the story to try to explain how even though it was a nice arrangement, it still took his thoughts away from the spirit and how music is so powerful. All I took from it was that I need to start incorporating arrangements of Beetle's songs in my prelude music. It's my new challenge to work on. Can't be that hard. I feel like Dad would support me in this endeavor.
 
In other news, we did some more community service last Wednesday and we pretty much destroyed an entire house. It was awesome. One day there was a house standing there. The next day it was gone. Through sheer man power and good looks. 6 missionaries can get a lot of work done in one day.
 
And to finish off the week, we had a sweet baptism yesterday. The zone leaders had been working with this woman and her 8 year old son for about a month and a half and they both got baptized yesterday. She was so excited to put her past behind her and start dedicating her life to the Lord. It was a really nice baptismal service. I just hope that I can help more people feel the same joy and peace that this woman felt yesterday after she was baptized. Hope you all have a great week!
 
Love,
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment