Tuesday, April 9, 2013

32nd Epistle from Elder Kaleb Erickson serving in Far Rockaway, NY


Hey Mom and Dad!                                 Written April 8, 2013
 
There's nothing like a good General Conference weekend. Just posting up at the Far Rockaway chapel, listening to the Prophet and Apostles speak the word of God. That's a good time if I've ever heard of one. This has been a week of catching up. We had a lot of changes at transfers last week. The district leader and his companion were both taken out, so we have two brand new elders here in the Rockaways. They're both great elders, one of them was in the MTC with me, Elder Durkin. He is training and his companion was in the MTC at the same time as my companion and his name is Elder Lavelle. They're good missionaries and hopefully they'll bring some new ideas to missionary work here in the Rockaways.
 
It's always nice to get new faces around, the only problem being that since they're both new, they don't know the area at all. So we spent a good portion of the week helping them out with learning the area and meeting people. It's funny to think that about 6 months ago, I didn't even know this place existed, and now I know it like the back of my hand. We cover about 4 different villages of Queens and I can get you to and around all of them without much trouble. So I'm just glad that I can use this knowledge to help others out.
 
English classes are cruising along. We had a conflict because the afternoon session of General Conference on Saturday is the exact same time as our English class on Saturday. We tried to tell people about it at the class before, but some people weren't there at the end of the class to hear it. People were showing up for the classes, so I would wait at the door and tell them that we were having a conference where prophets and apostles talk to us and help us come closer to Christ. Pretty much everybody bounced once they found out we weren't having the classes. But one woman stayed and watched and she enjoyed it too. I wish more had stayed, but I'm glad that one person took the time and hopefully it sparked an interest in her.
 
General Conference was a nice break from the usual and now that we've been spiritually edified, it's time to get back to work. Love you guys!
 
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment