Wednesday, February 27, 2013

26th Epistle from Elder Kaleb Erickson serving in Far Rockaway, NY

Six Months!!!

Can you believe it's already been six months? Where did all the time go? Ever since the hurricane, time has just flown by. It's absolutely unbelievable. 

This last week has been an adventure, as with every week I'm out here. I have been working with Elder Hart to show him the ropes of missionary work. It's good for me because it makes me go back to the basics of missionary work. I think that's the best way to do it. Elder Hart has an awesome testimony and he loves to share it with people. He's a great missionary. All he needs is some experience in the field and some more Spanish practice and he'll be unstoppable. 

When it comes to Spanish, we are an interesting team. I can't understand what people are saying to me to save my life. But I can more or less say whatever I want to say. And Elder Hart can understand a lot more than I can, but he sometimes struggles with how to say things. So we tend to have to work together. It's good for us. 

This week was all about the big concert in Belle Harbor last night. We spent all the time we could going from house to house, telling people about the concert. We even brought the whole zone out here on Saturday to help advertise for it. It was a huge advertising campaign. We did some solid work. The concert was last night and we probably had about 80 people there. It was incredible. We taught the Restoration to 80 people via music and a really well-written script. I don't know that everybody exactly understood what we were telling them, but people seemed to enjoy it. And the musical numbers were all really good. I planned all of the music, so I was really happy when it was all over. I wish I could have recorded it to send you a copy, but it wouldn't have the same feeling on tape as it did in person. 

In other news, the zone leaders decided last night would be a good time to go driving on the sand. They managed to get their Toyota Corolla stuck and called us frantically at 9:30 at night. We drove over and tried to push it out, but the wheels had dug in and so the body of the car was resting on sand. They had no idea what to do. It was in a super awkward position for the car, so it wasn't going to be easy to call a tow truck or anything like that. So this morning, we borrowed some shovels from a member and we started digging the car out. We dug for about an hour and a half and weren't really having any success yet. Then Elder Mitchell (one of the ZL's) and I decided to try to rock the car out of the sand. We started the rocking and it started moving! We got all four elders rocking the car back and forth and we finally managed to push it out. It was a crazy way to start the morning. 

That's about all there is to report for now. Next week will hopefully be more normal, but we've got a couple of days of service planned and Elder Hart and I might be making refreshments for a small wedding this Friday, so it should be a fun week! Tonight we have an appointment with a new investigator in Spanish. It will be the first time I've ever taught a Spanish investigator. Sounds crazy right? Six months out and I've only taught English investigators so far. But there's a first for everything right? Love you all and I hope you have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment