Thursday, February 14, 2013

24th Epistle from Elder Kaleb Erickson serving in Far Rockaway New York

First Baptism!      Writing Feb 11, 2013

We got the baptizing party in Far Rockaway started yesterday with the baptism of Scott Madden. It was a really nice service. His brother, David, got to baptize him and Elder Wolfe went in the font to help out. Scott has come a long way since we first met him and he is going to make a great member of this church. Hopefully this is the first of many baptisms to come here in Rockaway. 

   Baptism of Scott Madden Feb 2013

So let's see, this was kind of a slow week. We've been doing a lot of lookups in Belle Harbor and not having huge amounts of success. I think I'm expecting too much from it though. I can't expect everybody to welcome us in their homes and want us to teach them everything we know. We've had three people ask us to come back and teach them something, which I think is incredible. That in itself is a miracle because six months ago, none of these people would even open their doors for us, let alone invite us inside to talk with them. So we are making definite progress, it's just slower than I originally expected it to go. 

We had a cool lesson with Lisa and Terrance last week. We've been trying to meet with him for a while to teach him the restoration and he was there when we went by to say hello. He said that if we had some time, we should teach him whatever we had now. So Elder Pearce and I threw together a lesson really quickly. We decided not to teach the Restoration because it wasn't quite the best setting for it with their kids running around and whatnot. We decided to teach about the Atonement because that's always a good topic for a lesson. We showed them a talk that Jeffrey R. Holland gave called None Were With Him. I wasn't quite sure where to go after that, so I said a quick prayer, opened my mouth, and started talking. I really can't remember exactly what I said to them. It was something along the lines of a promise that the spirit that they can feel in the room with us is the same holy spirit that testifies of truth and it will be present whenever we talk about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon and he will feel it when he attends our services on Sunday and by that spirit, he can know that we are testifying of truth. It was really helpful because he finally expressed to us his concerns that we're trying to convert him and he's happy where he is. We told him that was great and our only goal is to strengthen his faith in Christ. Lisa says that she doesn't feel fulfilled at their church though and that's why she wants to try out the Mormon church. So we invited her to come to our services on Sunday to experience it for herself. I think they're both going to progress in their own time, we just need to get them to church. She didn't come yesterday because the snow storm moved back a wedding shower to Sunday afternoon. 

It was the heartbreak of the week for me when she didn't come to church. But that's okay, life goes on. Through a series of last minute and sudden events, I ended up teaching the Gospel Doctrine class and seminary after church. It's a good thing my mother taught me a bit about teaching seminary. Two hours is a long time to keep these kids paying attention. But we pulled it off and headed straight to the baptism after that. 

LDS Temple in Manhatten, NY

Elder Kaleb Erickson at the NYC Temple

The baptism was really the crowning event of the week, not too much happened aside from that. The snow storm that apparently was supposed to be a big deal, really wasn't. We only got like 8 inches here. Since we couldn't go out and work that night, we had a party in the APs apartment with all the elders in Far Rock. It was a pretty fun night. 

I just keep thinking back to what I was doing a year ago and here I am now, a 19 year old in Far Rockaway, New York, teaching people about Jesus Christ, telling people twice my age that they need to get married, helping people give up addictive substances, trying to bring a message of hope to people who are really living tough, tough lives out here. It's amazing how different my circumstances are now than they were a year ago. Serving a mission is such an incredible experience. I don't even know where to begin in describing everything I've experienced and learned so far. I just know that I'm doing the Lord's work and I couldn't be happier to be doing it. 

Love,
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment