Thursday, December 26, 2013

68th Epistle From Elder Kaleb Erickson serving in Patchogue, New York

Merry Christmas from Long Island written Dec 16, 2013

After 7 1/2 months of serving in Midwood, I have finally been
transferred. I'm now serving in a place called Patchogue way out on
Long Island. It is so different from the city. Things are so much
calmer here. You don't see nearly as many pedestrians. Groceries are
way cheaper. And fast food restaurants offer free refills on drinks. I
haven't seen that in a long while. I really like it here. We drive a
car now, so we get around like it ain't no thang. I'm used to having
to plan out half hour long travel times to get to appointments. Now
you just hop in the car and you're practically there. Walking for so
long really makes you appreciate a car. Though I will certainly miss
walking. I had grown to love walking around the city in my time there.

Picture from Summer of 2013   Midwood, Brooklyn


So out here in Patchogue, we have a Spanish branch. It is very small,
only 6 active priesthood holders and maybe 40 active members total.
But they are all good people. The branch president is brand new, he's
been in for about three weeks. I asked him what he wants us to focus
on and he told me that we should focus everything on finding new
members. He said people have been trying with the few less actives
they have and it's not worth it. It's time to move on and find new
members. He said to let the members worry about the less actives and
the missionaries should focus on teaching new people. I'm excited. I
love it. Let's get to work.

We don't have much right now, but that will change soon. We are
teaching English classes here too. They are doing decently well. Ten
or so people at each class. We're teaching one guy from it already and
there are a couple of other people I'd like to talk to as well.
Hopefully those work out.

In other news, we are going to be doing a lot of door knocking here.
It should be good. We're planning to map out specific neighborhoods
where there might be Spanish people so we can pull off some solid
knocking blitzes. What we have been doing in the evenings is gathering
the Spanish and English districts and we go Christmas caroling from
door to door. It's a lot of fun. When people answer the door, they're
always kind of annoyed at first, then they hear the singing and they
always cheer up. People love it. Hopefully we can keep that going
until Christmas. It's a good way to utilize that awkward time from 8
to 9 PM.

The English ward had their Christmas party last Saturday. We went
because they did a reenactment of the nativity story, so we went to
play shepherds and wise man. I also got to play the piano while people
were eating. I was asked to play non-hymn book Christmas songs, but I
didn't have any music. So I decided to channel some of my father's
ability to play by ear. I have gotten a lot better since last year
when I tried. I need Dad to teach me some variations I can play with
the bass hand. I've still got our Christmas party next week, so I'll
give it another shot then.

Church was fun with the small branch. It's kind of nice because it's
easy to get to know everyone. I got to play the piano for sacrament
meeting and I went and played for primary too. The people are all very
nice. And our ward mission leader is amazing. His name is Julio. He
takes his calling seriously and he does a wonderful job with it. He
knows what's going on and he runs things well. It's very much a
blessing in my life.

So this week is more of trying to get to know the area and starting to
find people. I also have the Christmas concert in Midwood this Friday,
so hopefully that goes well. If people will come to it, it will be
good. We just need people to come. I'm sure they will, it will be
great. I'm just loving life out here. Patchogue is the best. Love you
guys! Until next week!

Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment