Tuesday, March 12, 2013

28th Epistle from Elder Kaleb Erickson serving in Far Rockaway NY

All About Spanish   written March 11, 2013


Hey Mom and Dad!
 
This week was a really cool week for Spanish. It all got started last Monday. We've been teaching these English classes for like 8 weeks. We always share a spiritual thought at the end of the classes and we try to talk to people to ask if we can share a message with them. It was going well, but not like we had originally hoped. So we decided to go big or go home. For the spiritual thought on Monday we passed out a copy of the Book of Mormon in Spanish to everybody there. I volunteered to teach the lesson on it. So here I am, standing in front of 40-some Hispanics, just testifying of the Book of Mormon. It was awesome. I explained how it can help us strenghten our faith in Jesus Christ and we read some of the introduction. Then we read Moroni 10:3-5 and I explained the promise that they can know for themselves if the book is true. Then I asked them all to read chapter 10 of Moroni and pray about it. It lasted about twenty minutes of me testifying to these people in Spanish. I've never felt so cool in my entire life.
 
We saw the first fruits of it, two days later. On Wednesday, we were on the way to the classes, when Elder Mitchell texted us. He said there was a woman waiting for us at the church. We showed up and asked her what she needed. We had never talked to this woman before. I had no idea who she was. She told us she was waiting for the classes. I said great, the classes start at 7, then I went to go set up. Elder Mitchell talked to her a bit and she told him that she was waiting for me and my companion. He came over to me and said look, this woman is here to talk to you, go teach her now. I don't know why she's here, but this is God's hand at work. I said great, we're on it.
 
We sat down with her and two other people waiting for classes joined us. I really had no idea what to do with this lesson here. Elder Hart started talking about the Book of Mormon and the woman pulled out a copy of it. I asked her where she got it. Turns out she was in the class on Monday when we passed them out. I asked if she had read any of it and she said that she read the chapter I asked them to. I asked if she had prayed about it. She told us that she knelt and prayed and after the prayer she waited ten minutes and didn't get an answer. Then as she was about to get up, she felt this warmth and she said that she gained faith that this book is true. I looked at Elder Hart and we were both blown away. This was a miracle as far as I'm concerned. We talked with her about what she needs to do now and that we wanted to meet with her to talk more about the Book of Mormon. She said I don't have time this week, but I want to come to church on Sunday. We got her phone number and were super excited about it all. The sad ending to this awesome story is that she didn't come to church yesterday. But hopefully she'll come to the classes tonight and we'll be able to talk to her about it. It was a testimony to me that God really has prepared people to hear our message.
 
Last week my companion got pretty sick, so we had to take it easy for a few days. We didn't quite get to teach as much as usual, but we had another miracle yesterday when Lisa came to church. I have never been so happy on a Sunday. For almost five months I've been trying to get her to church and it finally happened. I was so nervous that it wasn't going to go well. It was dangerous because the sacrament meeting topic was geneology and it was going to be all in Spanish. We have headphones that the English speakers wear and a live translator as the speaker is going. So it works, but it's not the same. But all my fears and worries were for naught. At the end of the meeting, she told us she enjoyed it all and she is actually interested in geneology work. Her only question was about the coming of Elijah, which we'll have to explain some other time. She is going to be out of town next week, but asked us to find a chapel in the area she's going to be in so she can take her husband and kids there next week. I am so excited about it all, I can't even describe.
 
There's not too much else going on. We did some service last week, that's always good. We cleaned up a house that had yet to be touched since the hurricane. It was pretty gross. In other news, I read today that tomorrow is the beginning of the law that restricts beverage sizes. It's the end of the world as far as I can tell. I'm not excited about it. But that's life I guess. I hope you guys are doing well! I'm really excited to be working more in Spanish! I am getting a lot better at the language. I'll be fluent someday, I just need to get better at understanding people and I'll be there. I know this is the Lord's work because I can feel his hand guiding us every day!
 
Love,
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment