Thursday, January 31, 2013

22nd Epistle from Elder Kaleb Erickson serving in Far Rockaway New York


Dear Family,        writing Jan 28. 2013

The weather is a little funky here in Far Rock. We had a big snowstorm last Monday night. I saw snow on the beach. It was unbelievable. One minute there was snow, the next there was sand and water. So crazy. The next morning we decided to go around and shovel snow for people as a service project. So that was pretty cool. The rest of the week was mostly just super cold weather. In the 20s and a really cold wind chill. The wind is the worst part. If it wasn't windy, it wouldn't be bad at all. But the wind is killer. Then on Sunday, it was in the 40s or 50s. No wind at all. It was warm compared to last week. And this morning it was snowing again. So I don't know what's going on with the weather. It's ridiculous. I just know that I have a nice, warm jacket that my mother helped me buy. And thermals to wear underneath my shirt that keep me nice and warm.

                                               Hear the message and get free cocoa!

I was sick for a bit last week, but it was really just a cold, I'm doing fine now. It's been pretty cold recently so I've still got a bit of a runny nose, but nothing too bad. I just keep drinking those fluids. That's about all I know how to do.

Here in the branch I play the piano every week for Primary. It's only for a half an hour. Yesterday (Sunday) I found myself teaching all day. I played for primary then found out the young men had no teacher. So Elder Munday (he's an AP right now) and I taught the young men a short lesson. Then I taught the youth Sunday school class with Elder Munday again. Then they have seminary after church here, that way more kids don't have to struggle to find rides to come. The seminary teacher is out of town for the next three weeks and the elder who was going to teach it had to do an interview. So I went and taught an impromptu lesson on John 6-9 with that elder's companion. I just teach youth lessons on the spot, that's all I do on Sundays. Because I had no preparation for any of those, we just saw a lack of teacher, so we jumped in. They were pretty good lessons though. Elder Munday and I make a solid team.

The mission president has decided that we need to have a member attend every lesson that we give. This member lessons thing is pretty tough. I think in a stronger branch it might be easier. But it's rough here. Lack of English speaking members and sound knowledge of church doctrine. You have no idea how many crazy people we have here in the branch. It's scary. I am almost afraid to bring investigators to church because I don't want the members to tell them crazy things and scare them.

Aside from that, things are going well here. We actually got to go to the temple last Saturday! The youth in the Rockaway Branch were going to go do baptisms for the dead and they didn't have enough Melchizedek Priesthood to go with them. We got permission from President Calderwood and we got to go! Manhattan is freaking awesome! We took the train there, which was very exciting. You always get to see exciting things when you use public transportation. We only had five youth there, but it was still a really nice experience in the temple. The Manhattan temple is really small; I had no idea how small it is. Not that the size diminishes from the spirit at all, it was just interesting to see how the temple is consolidated to fit the city. The coolest moment was when we walked out of the subway station and saw Moroni chilling on top of the first building we saw. Super cool experience.

Not too much else happened last week. Scott Madden is getting ready to be baptized next Sunday. That will be my first baptism, I'm really excited about that. We taught Lisa and Terrance again, although Terrance was busy working on things to put their house back together. We had an awesome lesson with Lisa about the Gospel of Christ. She's pretty much ready to be baptized, we just have to work with Terrance a bit more. They are such a cool family, I love them.

Things are getting exciting, we're going to be working more in the areas that the Mormon Helping Hands worked in. Our plan is to go around and see how people are doing, offering our help either with things to be done on the house or to hear a special message about Jesus Christ and eternal families. I'm really excited to get started with it.

So yeah, life is good out here. I'm not looking forward to the snow that started earlier today, but I guess that's life. Snow isn't so bad once you get used to it. I love you guys and I hope you're doing well in California!

Love,
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment