Tuesday, November 20, 2012

12th Epistle From Elder Kaleb Erickson


Hello Everyone!                                                November 19, 2012
  
This opportunity for service in Far Rockaway continues and probably will go on for the next month or so. We had a mission conference last Friday, I think it was meant to help confirm to people that giving service wasn't a waste of time and that it was still doing missionary work. Also to remind people that we shouldn't be proselyting while we're out there.



I don't know if you remember from a while ago, we had just started teaching a new investigator, her name is Lisa. She and her husband, Terrance, are chiropractors. I think I spelled that right. Well anyways, their office is right in the area where we've been working and Terrance asked if we would help clear out the basement of the office. We were happy to help. It took us pretty much the whole day on that one basement. But at the end of it, he came in and offered us all free full-body adjustments for our help. I don't know if you've ever had a full-body adjustment, but they are freaking awesome. I guess the idea behind it is that he realigns all the slightly out of place segments of your spine so that your brain can send all the signals it needs to the body and it helps you heal faster and feel better. So that is just to help you know that I'm being taken care of out here. He told us we could come back twice a week for the next month too. So we're headed back tomorrow to get fixed up again.
  
Every weekend there are a ton of volunteers that still come out. I keep waiting to see Elder Ryan Nadybal, but I bet he's too far away. Shame. That would have been fun. I've met a bunch of people from the Boston stake though.

We don't have any plans for Thanksgiving yet. We're thinking the new Branch President of the Rockaway branch might invite us to their house for dinner. They're a senior missionary couple, very nice people. I don't know them too well yet, but my companion says they might invite us over.  None of the families in Rockaway are quite up to throwing a thanksgiving dinner at the moment. If nothing happens there, we're planning a trip to McDonald's. Can't complain with either option.

There are a ton of National Guard out here in Far Rock.  Food isn't so much an issue for us. Mayor Bloomburg has set up a fund to send food trucks out to the Rockaways every day. So there are all these food trucks everywhere giving out free food. Well, at least two or three of them every day. They're meant for the victims, but everybody loves us out there, so they tell us to come get food too. And there are always people throwing big barbecues out on the street for anybody passing by. The whole community has come together to help people, it's pretty cool. Lunch is easy to find every day. Usually we grab something before we leave for the day and it tides me over until dinner at 6 or 7. Then I make whatever I have lying around. I bought a bunch of fruit, so you can know that I'm eating somewhat healthy. And I have a big two liter bottle that I fill up with water and try to drink 2 liters of water a day. I don't want to get dehydrated.
  
We still have no idea how long we'll be out here working, but the work seems to get easier every day. My triceps are unreal from all the hammer swinging I've done. 


I got to work with some Hispanic members yesterday, so I got to practice my Spanish. That was a lot of fun. It's coming along slowly. Everybody says that I speak it really well, but my problem is understanding people. I guess I still need to train my ear to recognize Spanish. Oh yeah, Elder Wolfe took some action shots of me working yesterday. I was going to send them to you, but they're on his camera. Maybe I'll just have him send them. We'll see. I'll get them to you eventually. It helps me keep working every day to know that I'm doing the Lord's work!

Love,
Elder Erickson


No comments:

Post a Comment