Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sept 6, 2012  2nd Epistle from Elder Kaleb Erickson at the MTC



Hey Mom and Dad!  
 
So life at the MTC is really, really repetitive. I think we're supposed to learn a lot about obedience here. We have to follow this exact schedule and do everything a certain way, it's crazy. That's why P-days are the best, because we get like 9 hours of whatever. It's beautiful. My companion and I like to go hang out on the temple grounds and write letters. Best way to spend a few hours of the day.
 
Anyways, not much new has happened since last week. The three sisters in our district are flying out to the MTC in Guatemala this Tuesday. We'll miss them, but they're going to free up so much room in our classroom, it will be awesome. We're really cramped at the moment, so that will be a nice change. We are now teaching two investigators. One is named Ezequiel and the other is Matilda. Ezequiel is way nice and really interested in the Gospel. Matilda is only willing to meet with us because her husband is a member. She's pretty apathetic about everything. All we can really do is bear testimony and hope she feels the spirit, so that's our plan at the moment.
 
Our first lesson with Matilda was a really humbling experience for me. Usually when we teach, I do most of the talking because I can keep up with the Spanish and respond quickly. As a result, my companion doesn't say much until his teaching part and then he talks slow and relies on me to help him out with the investigator's responses. Which has been good to help him learn some of the insane amounts of Spanish that get thrown around in our lessons. But when we went in to teach Matilda, suddenly I forgot all my Spanish. It's like I lost the gift of tongues when we walked in. I couldn't say anything to save my life. I was worried we were going to crash and burn, then Elder Bush came in to the rescue. I've never heard him speak Spanish so well before, it was incredible. He did most of the pre-talking and then even finished up one of my teaching parts because I got lost while I was teaching. We didn't get very far because we only had 20 minutes to teach, but it was awesome to see Elder Bush suddenly rock at Spanish. I think it was the Lord teaching me to be humble about my Spanish abilities and to give Elder Bush an opportunity to take charge of the lesson for once. Hopefully I'll get back in the game though, we're finishing teaching her about the Restoration tonight.
 
Aside from the new investigators, nothing new has really happened. We don't really do all that much here. Just lots of studying. Tomorrow we start the Teaching Resource Center, where people from Provo come in and we're supposed to teach them in Spanish. That's definitely going to be an adventure. I'm not sure what to expect. Hopefully I can remember some stuff in Spanish though. It should be fun.
 
So that's my life here, hopefully I'll have a new fun story to tell you next week. Otherwise I guess I could just write about all the studying that I do. Have I mentioned that I study a lot? I really am enjoying it though. The MTC is a great place, regardless of how repetitive it is. I learn new things every day. We must be doing the Lord's work here or there's no way that I'd be able to learn and retain so much information over the last two weeks.
 
Hope all is well!
Elder Erickson
                                            Kaleb's friends from BYU now at the MTC.

                                  MTC Classroom: Elder Goates Elder Erickson, Elder Bush

                                                     Kaleb's District at the Provo Temple.

                                                     Best Looking Missionary at the MTC
                                  
                                                       Elder Erickson & Elder Finger

                                             Elder Erickson & Companion, Elder Bush

No comments:

Post a Comment